3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:21 PM by dewdude RSS

1080i or 720p on cable box?

bscottd

I am wondering what is the best setting for the best picture...  My Slingbox is connected component to my cable box.  I know the Slingbox Solo does not send HD but I always want to make sure I am starting with the best starting picture.  In my cable box I have the option of setting my output for HD channels at 1080i or 720p 16x9 ratio.  What is better for slinging to iphone, ipad or computer?  I wonder if it makes a difference between interlaced and progressive video?  1080i or 720p?  Anyone know?

• Re: 1080i or 720p on cable box?
          Apprentice

Hi, bscottd

Since you want to know what is the best setting for the best picture quality on your Slingbox SOLO, you must know that the Slingbox SOLO takes a 720p or 1080i signal and down-converts it to standard-definition resolution before sending it over the network.

As stated in the FAQ's, The Slingbox and SlingStream technology adapt the compressed video to match the available network and Internet bandwidth to provide the best possible video quality, whether running on a supported computer or compatible mobile phone. While the Slingbox SOLO does not send HD video at 720p or 1080i, it does allow you to access both your SD and HD channels seamlessly, and the HD component video content results in output that looks great.

bscottd

You did not answer my question.  Should I output the box at 1080i or 720p to get the best results?  I have tried both ways and I wouldn't go as far as saying it looks great, it looks ok.  I know my connection is fast (I have FiOS) and when I am slinging, I am only 2 feet from the FiOS box, Sligbox and FiOS router.  I get what looks like some sort of interlacing...  lines in the picture, just does not play as smooth as I'd like it to.  It is passable and I still watch it but for the money I feel it should look better...  I have read everything possible in your FAQs and searched the internet but have found no answer and that is why I am asking you.

dewdude Newbie

I recently switched to a High Definition box and faced this same dilemma. One problem I had when I was using S-Video was sometimes the SlingBox would pick up the wrong field order and the de-interlacing wouldn't work very well, leading to video that was blocker/rough edged than it should of been. In fact, one of my friends who does video production for me for a living pointed this out.

It is because of this I recommend sending a 720p signal. Your cable box will deinterlace the video better than the slingbox is able to (at times) and you should get slightly better picture quality. You could also send a 480p signal as well, but with the fact the Slingbox software recgonizes full widescreen, most boxes (like mine for example), automatically scale it down to 4:3...wasting bits for the black bars.