16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2011 7:28 PM by Andygsu RSS

Cannot connect to Slingbox

barthbaxt

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700, with AT&T as the provider (v5.0.0.979).

A month ago, I purchased a Slingbox and installed the ap on my Blackberry.  It was working fine until last week.  I now get "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox.  Please check internet connection on your phone and try again" error.  I am able to view my Slingbox on my laptop.

I have a strong WiFi connection and well as strong 3G.  I have tried in muliple locations (both WiFi and 3G), with no luck.  I have uninstalled the ap and re-installed twice, still no luck.

My Slingbox shows up in the Slingbox Directory within the ap, but it gets stuck in the "Connecting on Wi-Fi...." function.

• Re: Cannot connect to Slingbox
          sullys15

I am experiencing the same issue with the exact configuration ... BB Bold 9700 with AT&T as the provider ... and my connection was working fine a week ago, and then when I tried to connect yesterday and today, I received the following message ... "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox. Please check the internet connection on your phone and try again." I can connect and view via my laptop much like I have read in some other forums regarding this same issue. I'll read through all of the related forums in order to see if there is a fix already in place for the 9700 or if we need to wait for a fix from SlingBox.

adhowrock

i am having this trouble too.  I have reinstalled the software several time but i still get cannot connect due internet connection problem.  I can open the browser in my BB Bold 9700 and load pages without a problem.  What do we get this fixed?  I do not want to call into for support since they will charge per incident.  any ideas?  help!

B-Rock

I have the same issue here, getting the same message.  I am on Bell network in Canada using a bold 9000.  Just stopped working 2 days ago. My connection is fine with everything else.  Something must be up!......hopefully they are upgrading

barthbaxt

This is what Sling support just told me:

I need to create a manual configuration on the router with the port 5001 and the protocol TCP.  I'm not currently at home, so I can't do this right now.

I also asked why it was working fine before and they told me that the router lost the manual configuration, which is why I can't connect with my Blackberry.

Still think that it's strange that I can connect with my laptop and not my BB.

Not sure if this is going to work, but I will post the results tomorrow when I go home.

sullys15

Thanks ... please let us know your results, and if positive, how you got it accomplished. Much appreciated in advance ...

B-Rock

OK.....asBarthbaxt has indicated above, I had already set up a rule on my router to always allow my slingbox to connect, but what I noticed was that my slingbox changed it's IP address, which was why it was no longer connecting......this appears to be the issue.

So, all I had to do was confirm my private IP address on the slingbox support home page and make sure that was what I had in my router settings. 

Once I changed my IP address for the slingbox on my router to match the private IP address noted on the support home page, it worked perfectly!!

Hope this helps......

Cheers,

Brad

murray870

"SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox.  Please check the internet connection on your phone and try again."

I'm having the same issue with my Bold 9700 on AT&T using OS v5.0.0.979.  I've watched my slingbox on my blackberry many, many times over the last several months using this OS version and then suddently, as if someone flipped a switch, my blackberry will no longer connect to my slingbox.  I've re-installed the app on my phone three times, and I've reset and re-configured my slingbox and router several times as well.  I can connect fine from my pc at work and from my laptop anywhere I'm at.  I've even tested by tethering my 9700 to my laptop and streaming to the laptop worked perfectly in that situation.  What could have happened in the last couple weeks to make our blackberries stop connecting to our slingboxes?

bigdognyc

It's tues april 12 and Im having the same exact problem. I have a 9700 bold blackberry on at&t and has connected perfectly untill yesterday.  I have fine signal and all other internet stuff works on my phone but now slingbox says lost connection try again.   it works fine on wifi but not mobile 3g.  whats going on?  Thanks.   seems like I'm not the only one.

bigdognyc

Also...   as mentioned by Barthbax, (about the slingbox changing ip adress)     strangely my slingboxes local ip adress has not changed??

murray870

Hello all,

Has anyone besides B-Rock resolved their issue yet?  Unfortunately, my situation is different than his since my router and slingbox IP settings never changed.  And since having this problem I have reconfigured them several times anyway attemping to make this work again.  Someone mentioned that they could connect on wi-fi, but not on 3G.  In my case neither will work.  While I can connect to my Slinbox over the internet and at home from two different PCs and a laptop, my Bold 9700 still says it is unable to connect.  I can use all other data features and access the internet with my phone just fine.  I've used my Slingbox and Slingmobile for Blackberry for about a year with the same setup I'm using now but suddenly it doesn't work anymore.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

sullys15

Effective today (Apr 18), slingbox on my BB 9700 is working as it should. I didn't do any manual IP re-config or any other technical tasks except to download the applications updates from the slingbox site and then unplug my slingbox for about 30 minutes. I plugged it back in, waited a few minutes, and then I was able to connect. I wish that I had something more technically significant to share with everyone, but it was that simple. I hope that it works for those of you who are still having issues.

murray870

Thanks for letting us know that yours is working again Sully.  I've left my Slingbox unplugged overnight and my software is all up to date.  It still won't work on my Blackberry.  I'm very frustrated by this because it seems it would cost me as much to call for support as it did to buy the stupid mobile software in the first place.  Factor in the $190 for the slingbox hardware and .......well, it gets VERY frustrating.  Besides, I have a feeling that if I called them they would walk me through the same old router setup steps one more time and say they don't know what the problem is, sorry.

murray870

I want to report that Slingmobile on my Blackberry is working again.  I logged into my DSL modem (which is a Speedstream 4200) and created a port forwarding entry for port 5001 (in addition to the entry already in my router).  Then I ran through the Slingbox setup on the website for the millionth time and it works now!  I'm not sure why it worked fine for about a year without having to modify the modem settings though.  Maybe my ISP did something recently that messed me up?  Who knows...  Good luck to anyone still having issues.

Andygsu

OK. So I was having this problem as well and consulted this post for help. It seems like the port forwarding on the router is the answer. I used to have a Belkin router and the slingbox setup program set the settings on the router for me during setup, so I didn't have to do anything. But then I got an Apple Airport Extreme, and it worked without having to do the port forwarding (presumably because of sling accounts) for a few months. But I noticed it stopped working about a week ago. I finally had time to sit down and figure this out. I logged into my Apple Airport and did the port mapping/forwarding using port 5001 and voila.... it works now. Hope this helps.