3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2011 8:06 PM by dennis136 RSS

Watching in China--Great Firewall Problems??

dennis136

I would just like to know if anyone is using their Slingbox in China and how the Firewall is effecting the quality and speed of the video?

I live in Shenzhen, China and watching any kind of streaming video here is EXTREMELY slow even with a VPN.

What is using a Slingbox in China like?

Thanks,
      Brian

• Re: Watching in China--Great Firewall Problems??
          Apprentice

Hi, dennis136

The Slingbox will work fine as long as the technical specifications are met. It is important to verify if both networks (at Slingbox location and your remote location) meet the requirements. With this in mind, I recommend you to check the following links.

Tech Specs for the Slingbox PRO HD

Tech Specs for the Slingbox SOLO

mrworden

I just returned to Beijing and have tried to connect to my slingbox  in the States. Indeed, the connection through the "Great Firewall" appears to be affecting the connection speed to the point of making it impossible to watch at all.

In the past, I have had pretty good success watching from Beijing. Once or twice a week, the network would slow down and I couldn't watch, but generally it worked fine. I'm hopeful that today is one  of those "off" times and all will be better soon.

For the record, I have never found connecting through a VPN from China worthwhile -- the latency introduced makes the upload speed too slow. Perhaps someone else has had  success..?

Cheers,

MW

dennis136

mr. worden,

thanks for your comments about using slingbox.

in reference to your vpn statement, what solutions do you employ in order to get unrestricted access to the internet while inside china?

im using a 30 day free trial vpn, which will be kind of expensive after the free trial, but which really (as you said) doesn't improve speed significantly.

not being able to speedily access the web is starting to weigh on my morale.

any suggestions?