1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 1, 2011 5:21 AM by Tech RSS

Picture jitters over LAN intermittently while watching Sports

amitdas2

I've been using the PRO-HD for a few weeks now over a LAN on a couple of computers. I am seeing the same results on both computers, one being a Windows Vista AMD Phenom quad-core with 4 Gigs of RAM, the other being a Windows XP machine with a 2.6 GHz processor and 2 Gigs of RAM. The results seem the same on both computers over a wired 100 Mbps LAN. When you are watching a fast moving picture like a basketball game the picture will jitter after approximately 20 seconds. While monitoring the Stats window I verified that no Frames were skipped and the buffer was full. I tried downgrading the resolution to 1280x720 and 640x480 with the same results. I tried almost all the manual settings (I-Frame interval etc.) and the results seem the same.

So the facts are I have more then enough network bandwidth and more then enough client computing power (I monitored the client) and I tried lowering the resolution on the SlingPlayer 2.0.4.522 with the same results. No matter what I do the picture will jitter once in a while (3 to 5 times a minute).

My conclusion is the physical SlingBox PRO-HD cannot encode and send the H.264 video stream quick enough to avoid picture jitters for fast moving video. I hope the guys at Sling Media can supply a firmware and/or software patch to fix this problem.

SlingPlayer 2.0.4.522

Firmware Version 2.1.90
      Hardware Version 1.37.0
      Firmware Date 11/30/2010
      SlingPlayer 2.0.4.522
      100 MbPS LAN
      AMD Phenom X4 9100e 4 Gb RAM