10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 12:19 PM by bayards RSS

An error connecting to your SlingBox

Slingbuser Newbie

I just purchased a new Solo yesterday and was using the Getting started Wizard. I was able to get to the point where it asks me to slect what cabel box or DVR that I am using. I have not conected the IR cable yet because I have not decisded which box to use yet. so I closed the browser and shut down my computer because I need to do something else. I login this morning and tried to continue using the Getting started wizard. It successfully detected my Slingbox and get into account initialization. It then come back with the error saying "There was an error connecting to your SlingBox, please try again". I tried many times with no luck. Can some one help ? I am using WINXP SP2 with IE8. I alos tried with firefox with no luck.

• Re: An error connecting to your SlingBox
          Kennedk Newbie

Restart from factory settings, ie reset the solo on the back of the unit, due to the fact you never finished the setup solo can't continue.

And restart your computer as well all should work .

Slingbuser Newbie

I did the reset and restart many times and many ways with no luck.

1. I reset the slingbox and got stuck with the same error

2. I reset the slingbox and restart my computer, same error

3. I reset the slingbox, power it off, restart my computer , power the slingbox back on, This time it prompt me for the SlingBox name, IP address, and port number. I gave it a name (Myslingbox), the IPaddress of the SLingbox and port 5001. IT than ask for Admin password which I do not have. So I click the SlingBox setup icon at the top of the screen instead. The I went into the same situation as before (it says initializing my account, followed by an error connecting to your Slingbox)

Please help.

Kennedk Newbie

Your admin password is the one you made up wen you opened an account with sling box, it's the same password used to get on this site?

What type of router are you using? And does the soft wear go in and make the nesasary changes to your router to allow intent watching?

Slingbuser Newbie

My router is TrendNet TEW652BRP. I am not sure what to look for to say if the Sling software has started to configure the router settings required. I was under the impression that should be part of the player installation and the Wizard should lead me to it once I get over this hurdle. Is ther anything that I can do manually without using the Wizard or is there any preparation required on the router before the Sling Wizard can do its work? 

Kennedk Newbie

Getting back to your first thread you said you were using "Getting started wizard" I was under the impression you were using Setup Assistant located in the sling player software you should of downloaded from the sling player web site under downloads.  This is the program that is used to program the box, and update the firmware?

Let me know if this is the program you are using?

Also if you are using the setup assistant on the sling software, maybe remove it in windows and reels load it, I did have a problem with one of my installs to a computer at work that was very picky about how it was loaded, and installed on the laptop.

Slingbuser Newbie

I have never use the box before. I just followed the instruction on the very simple start up guide that comes with the box which says go to www.slingbox.com and follow the instruction to set up your box.
                              I started with www.slingbox.com. At the left hand bottom of the page is a box 'set up your slingbox'. I click on that. It gets me to 'Welcome to Slingbox setup' I click on 'get started' ( this is what I refer to as the getting started wizard). It successfully detected my SlingBox. After I click 'Next', It goes into initializing SlingAccount and followed by the error. I'll try to download the Sling player software ans start from there to see if there is any luck.