19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2013 8:16 PM by kcrudup RSS

Split image scrolls vertically with component input

rennecker

Hi,

I hooked my cable company provided DVR (Scientific Atlantica Explorer 8240HD) to my Slingbox PRO-HD today.  When I try to use that input, the image scrolls up vertically, with a black bar between copies of the image.

I made sure that my Slingbox itself was up to date, and I can watch other inputs without any problems ... does anybody know how I can stabilize the image?

Thanks!

• Re: Split image scrolls vertically with component input
          Apprentice

Hi, rennecker

As the first step, we recommend you to test a different set of Component cables in order to determine if the issue might be the cause. If the issue persists, we recommend you to use a different TV source and let us know how it works.

rennecker

So, I tried swapping out the cables, and it still has the horizontal black bar that scrolls vertically (scrolling the image with it).

My current setup is a Scientific Atlantica HD cable box conneted via Component, my cable TV connected to the Coaxial in, and a TiVo connected with S-Video.

I tried unplugging other cables one at a time, and it didn't solve the issue.

The thing I find curious is that the image on my HD TV (component pass through) is stable and really clear.  So why does my TV get a stable image passed through the slingbox, but the image on the slingbox itself scrolls?

Thanks!

skyflix

I, too, have this exact same problem with my Slingbox Pro HD using multiple different sources, all of which are Component. I have tried different component cables as well. The weird thing is that its very inconsistent. Sometimes it will work for days without incident then for a few days it rolls without stopping. The only way to get the image back to normal is to disconnect from the Slingbox and reconnect, but this is a short term fix only. Of important note is that this behaviour happens no matter what the video source is or the device that I'm playing it back on (mobile device, browser, or sling catcher).

I've already verified that the Slingbox is on the latest firmware.

rudnikda

I too also have this problem and recently posted about it.  2 things I will add.

1. I've had my slingbox for about 3 years, but this problem is pretty recent.

2. The problem seems to be related to whether or not the TV to which the cable box is hooked up to (the same cable box the slingbox is hooked up to) is on or not.  If the TV is on, I do not have this problem; once the TV gets turned off it starts again.

I have Comcast Xfinity, I'm wondering if its related to something they are doing  (do others with this problem also have comcast?)

Also check on the tv on/off thing and let me know if yours behaves the same way.

I agree this is extremely annoying

kcrudup

I believe I have a workaround for this issue. I wasn't going to say anything 'tiil Weds/Thurs when I could tell for sure that this works, but Sling sent me a frustrating non-answer to this in the other thread so I'm posting here, too.

I'd gotten an inspiration by poster "rudnikda" that said the problem only seems to manifest itself when the TV (which is connected to the cable box via HDMI) was turned off. I discovered this to be true for my setup as well, which got me to thinking that it could possibly be related to HDCP checking(?) or HDMI port synchronization. I know that many of the HDMI splitter (not switch) boxes have to be HDCP compliant on their input sides so I inserted a 1-in-to-2-out HDMI splitter between my Cable box and my TV set and haven't seen the issue come back over several hours of Slingbox use. Since the HDMI splitter is always powered up whatever the anomaly is with the cable box component outputs doesn't occur and the PRO-HD doesn't lose sync.

The reason I didn't want to report back yet was the HDMI spliitter I'm using is a relatively expensive box that I'd only chosen 'cause it was the only one available at the retailer I'd gone to, but I have a cheap (~$14) unit from Amazon on the way and if that works then I'll certainly confirm the cheap box works here. (I know for sure the current expensive splitter does fix this, but figured folks wouldn't want to have to spend $100 )

kcrudup

So after testing my workaround for a while (using the cheap HDMI splitter), it appears it does work, and I don't have this problem any longer.

Thanks again to @rudnikda- once he'd determined that the issue seemed to happen when the TV was off that got me thinking. By putting an HDMI splitter (not switch) between my cable box and my TV the HDMI splitter is always "on" so the cable box doesn't cause the PRO-HD to lose sync. I get great video quality with my PRO-HD (I have lots of upload and am putting 1080i out of my Cisco cable box) and am highly relieved it all works properly now.

I'd tested this with an expensive splitter but found a cheap, self-powered $15 box on Amazon that I'm currently using now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTWX2NI/ref=ox_ya_os_product

It's a shame we have to buy something to fix this issue, but as Sling has been useless troubleshooting this at least it's a cheap fix. Hope this helps others.

rudnikda

This is great, I was literally days away from breaking down and just buying one of the new models, but I'll have to give this a try first. The Pro-HD doesn't have an HDMI it was component only; is there a similar product for component video?

kcrudup

Oh, that's OK - the issue is when an HDMI TV is connected to the HDMI output of a set top box, and the Slingbox is connected to the parallel Component outputs of the same STB. When the STB tries to do an HDCP handshake and it fails, "something" makes the Slingbox shift periodically downwards.

rudnikda

Yeah, this is perfect; just got it all fixed.  This is certainly the problem right here: "the issue is when an HDMI TV is connected to the HDMI output of a set top  box, and the Slingbox is connected to the parallel Component outputs of  the same STB"  I tested it it by simply unplugging the HDMI TV from the STB and sure enough that fixed the problem by itself (of course not a viable long term solution, just an experiment).  Some quick organizing of how things are connected and everything seems to be working correctly.

Congratulations, looks like you may have just solved a pretty widespread problem for which I haven't seen a solution that actually works in the 2 years I've been searching.  It also logically makes sense too suggesting that it addresses the real problem as opposed rolling back the firmware or soemthing like that.

Thanks again, have a great holiday.