1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 4:10 PM by ranaleon RSS

What's needed to watch a remote Slingbox via a Verizon iPhone 4 (but directing the iPhone 4 audio/video output onto whatever TV I'm near)?

con

I regularly use a MAC or PC to remotely view my Slingbox AV and that works great, so no problem there.

I just bought a Verizon iPhone 4 and I would like to buy the SlingPlayer Mobile app to similarly view my Slingbox remotely via my new iPhone 4. If I can do so using my Slingbox AV then that would be great, but if I can only do it with another Slingbox model then so be it.

HOWEVER, in addition to viewing TV on my iPhone 4 screen, I would like to plug my iPhone 4 into whatever TV I happened to be near and watch (and listen to) that TV instead of my tiny iPhone 4 screen.

I have read conflicting reports of whether this is possible, and even those that say that it is doable offer other conflicting reports as to whether such a setup will work with my older Slingbox AV.  (For example, I have read posts that state I may need a Slingbox SOLO or PRO-HD, although if the remote stream works OK on my MAC and PC I don't see technically why a new Slingbox would be required, but I digress).

I have read conflicting reports that state - assuming I actually CAN send my iPhone 4 output to a nearby TV - that I would need to buy Apple's component AV cable to plug my iPhone 4 into whatever TV I happened to be near.  Others have said that only Apple's composite AV cable will do the job. I don't care which will do the job. If only one of these cables will do the job then I would make sure I get that type of cable and make sure that I am near a TV that supports that type of cable. I am just looking to learn what combination of components and cables actually works as of this writing.

MY QUESTION:

What are all the components I need to be able to plug my Verizon iPhone 4 into whatever TV I happened to be near in order to view (and hear) my remote Slingbox on that TV via my Verizon iPhone4?:

1. ON THE SLINGBOX SIDE: Specifically what Slingbox model(s) will do the trick? (if my Slingbox AV won't support this then which model of the Slingbox box will work?)
      2. ON THE VERIZON iPHONE4 SIDE: Specifically what cable(s) will connect my Verizon iPhone4 to a nearby TV for this purpose? (if both types of cables can do the job then I will buy both types - in case I am near a TV that supports only one type or the other.)
      3. ALSO ON THE VERIZON iPHONE4 SIDE: Specifically what Slingbox Mobile iPhone app version works with all these parts? (I assume there is only one current Slingbox iPhone app for my Verizon iPhone 4, but if there is more than one app version then which app version/release do I need?)
      4. ON BOTH SIDES: Are there any other relevant questions about this setup that I'm not asking?

BONUS QUESTION:

If all this is doable then what is the longest cable - be it the component AV cable or the composite AV cable - I can get that will still work well? (in other words if I plug my iPhone into whatever TV I happened to be near it would be nice if I didn't have to sit only a few feet in front of the TV)

DOUBLE BONUS QUESTION:

In addition to a TV, would I be able to similarly plug my Verizon iPhone 4 into a projector? (I happen to own an LG HS200 LED Projector if anyone knows what might work with that model)

• Re: What's needed to watch a remote Slingbox via a Verizon iPhone 4 (but directing the iPhone 4 audio/video output onto whatever TV I'm near)?
          Apprentice

Hi, con

1. ON THE SLINGBOX SIDE: Specifically what Slingbox model(s) will do the trick? (if my Slingbox AV won't support this then which model of the Slingbox box will work?)

1. The SlingPlayer Mobile application for the iPhone supports the connection to the Slingbox and TV Out feature only if you have the Slingbox SOLO or the Slingbox PRO HD with the latest firmware version.

2. ON THE VERIZON iPHONE4 SIDE: Specifically what cable(s) will connect my Verizon iPhone4 to a nearby TV for this purpose? (if both types of cables can do the job then I will buy both types - in case I am near a TV that supports only one type or the other.)

2. You must use the Apple Digital AV Adapter, the Apple Component AV Cable or the Apple Composite AV cable.

3. ALSO ON THE VERIZON iPHONE4 SIDE: Specifically what Slingbox Mobile iPhone app version works with all these parts? (I assume there is only one current Slingbox iPhone app for my Verizon iPhone 4, but if there is more than one app version then which app version/release do I need?)

3. The SlingPlayer Mobile software for iPhone and iPod Touch v2.1.

4. ON BOTH SIDES: Are there any other relevant questions about this setup that I'm not asking?

4. Further details are included on this link

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone now supports TV-out

BONUS QUESTION:

Q: If all this is doable then what is the longest cable - be it the component AV cable or the composite AV cable - I can get that will still work well? (in other words if I plug my iPhone into whatever TV I happened to be near it would be nice if I didn't have to sit only a few feet in front of the TV)

A: We do provide support for this application, but the iPhone accessories must be the indicated and recommended by the App Store.

DOUBLE BONUS QUESTION:

Q: In addition to a TV, would I be able to similarly plug my Verizon iPhone 4 into a projector? (I happen to own an LG HS200 LED Projector if anyone knows what might work with that model)

A: In this case, you will have to test the available options using the iPhone and accessories. Sling Media does not provide support for this connection.