2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2011 5:59 AM by heikkiap RSS

What if someone need support ...?

heikkiap

ranaleon wrote;

"Hi, heikkiap and all

As you already know, the Nokia N8 Mobile device is not included on the supported Mobile devices list and we do not know if it will be supported any time soon. Keep in mind that we will not provide any information about any unreleased product or feature. it is clearly stated in the House Rules."

So, I am not going to get any support in my problems.

According to the House Rules, Public Relations isn't the strongest feature of the Sling company.., and the customer support.as well.

1) Once I tried to get support for Sony TV remote coding. This was about two years ago.  I still do not have possibility to control my TV remotely via SlingPlayer. ( And don't tell me that why you want to use TV, why not the digital recorder etc.  That time my digital recorder/digibox was in service, so I did not have other device for watching tv remotely via Sling) It seemed that remote coding was done by voluntary people, not Sling staff... why was that ???

2) Then my Slingbox dead, it did not connect to the internet. I asked (called) Sling customer support for help, what to do... unfortunately warranty was over, two months before that. Guy in phone tried to sell me something, I did not understand, maybe it was some kind of extension of the warranty or so. he promised to send me email as I gave him my email information. I never got that email!

3) I was too stupid to bye a new Slingbox Pro as it was too expensive to send old broken one to repair, according the dealer who sold that to me. In the meantime I bought Nokia N8. That was not a mistake, though, Mistake was the buying a nes Slingbox.

4) So, now I ask support to my symbian device, where my, licenced SlingPlayer Mobile Installs without any problem. I only wanted to know, if there will be a little programming to get a new update for the old, existing symbian version of the application, so that the registration information could be entered into the phone. That seems to be out of the skills of Sling company programmers.  Other way I can't explain that.

So, maybe there is customer support, but I have not met him!

Regards,

Heikki

• Re: What if someone need support ...?
          alanrichey42 Master
          1) Once I tried to get support for Sony TV remote coding. This was about two years ago.  I still do not have possibility to control my TV remotely via SlingPlayer. ( And don't tell me that why you want to use TV, why not the digital recorder etc.  That time my digital recorder/digibox was in service, so I did not have other device for watching tv remotely via Sling) It seemed that remote coding was done by voluntary people, not Sling staff... why was that ???

No idea , but if you still need a Custom Remote....

If there will be a little programming to get a new update for the old, existing symbian version of the application, so that the registration information could be entered into the phone. That seems to be out of the skills of Sling company programmers.  Other way I can't explain that.

I suspect it is more complex than that.  With the move from non-touch to touch all the on-screen handling would have to be re-written and probably all the video code would need rewriting as well.   Probably equivalent to writing a completely new app.

Al

• Re: What if someone need support ...?
              heikkiap

btw, following list is often referred when negative answer for N8 support has been given, comments like "see the supported Nokia phones on page...":

Recommended Symbian S60 Devices

• Nokia N96
              • Nokia N95 8GB
              • Nokia N95
              • Nokia N85
              • Nokia N82*
              • Nokia N79
              • Nokia N75
              • Nokia E75
              • Nokia E72
              • Nokia E71x
              • Nokia E71
              • Nokia E65
              • Nokia E63
              • Nokia E52
              • Nokia 6790 Surge

Recommended Symbian UIQ Devices

• Sony Ericsson P1i*
              • Sony Ericsson P990i*
              • Sony Ericsson G900*
              • Sony Ericsson W960i*

* Supported by SlingPlayer Mobile when used with Wi-Fi connection.

See, that page tells "recommended devices", fact that you don't recommend something, does not mean that it would not be supported, Maybe you should change the wording of that page then...

Regards,

Heikki