3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2011 1:40 PM by dbsguy RSS

WiFi TV

sadiedo

I bought a Sony XBR60LX900 TV, it sits in a wood cabinet 3 walls away from a wireless modem and cisco E3000 router, I cannot get a good connection.

My question is " Would a slinglink solve my problem ?"

• Re: WiFi TV
          dbsguy Apprentice

Yup; your a good candidate for a Powerline adapter such as the slinglinks or an HD verison which supports higher bandwidth rates such as one from netgear, linksys, etc.

Basically they run an ethernet signal piggybacked on top of your existing romax lines to the desired location.

sadiedo

This is good news, to get a little more detailed.. My router is in the garage connected by local cable [Time Warner]  My house is pre-wired and I have Dish Satellite and they're hooked up using the house wire, thus the xtra cable drawn to the garage for internet.  My TV, satellite box and home threatre is all connected to a Yamaha 7.1 A/V receiver....Everything works great except for the connection of the TV to the router.  What I need is a How To  to set it up.  I can't do a lot of the techy talk but I can walk  [figure it out ]  I like doing this,  it's kind of a challenge especially since I spent a boat load of cash on this gear    Thanks so much for advise,

dbsguy Apprentice

Purchase a set of powerline adapters (from sling media they are called a sling link or sling link turbo). The turbo unit incorporates a 4 port switch for connection of multiple Internet enabled devices at the receiving end while the standard slinglink only has connection for 1 device.

Since you have a satellite receiver I suggest you get the turbo version from slingbox or netgear's simularly suited 4 port units. This would enable features such as on demand ppv viewing and Internet features on your satellite receiver as well as connection for your Internet enabled TV along with future connections available for such things as a bluray player or gaming system, or a slingbox for that matter.

In any event here's how it gets connected:

The first powerline adapaters your need to get in a home are sold as a "pair". This simply means it comes with 2 boxes. One is a receiving uni, while the other is a sending unit. In this scenario I'll assume your getting the "turbo" 4 port version as I described above. The turbo version comes with one box that has an Ethernet input and power cord; while the other has 4 Ethernet connections and a power input.

1. Connect the single power line adapters Ethernet port to an open available Ethernet output on your current router.
                2. Connect the power plug of the single power line adapter unit straight to a standard A/C wall outlet (do not use a power strip, surge protector or extension cord for it's connection as those will cause it NOT to function as indicated within the product literature.
                3. connect the other 4 port version provided at your wanted tv location via Ethernet to all Ethernet enabled devices.
                4. Connect the 4 port unit's power straight to the wall's A/C outlet (again NOT using any sort of power strip, surge protector or extension cord)
                5. Your now done and connected to your network and the internet. There is no setup, programming or other steps required other then reruning the setup on your connected devices such as your TV or satellite receiver, etc.