21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2011 4:41 AM by tommac Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Firefox 4

Androto

Hi,

I just updated firefox to the new Firefox 4 that was just released, and now (since i'm on a mac) I cannot watch slinbox at all. I've got the slingbox PRO - HD, so I am forced to use a browser. Safari is not supported (unless it's in 32bit mode, but this in turn disables a bunch of my other extensions installed in safari, so this is not an option), and Firefox 4 simply crashes everytime it tries to load the slingplayer addon. What should I do now? how long will it take for a new slingox plugin to be released? I am having the same issue with firefox in that if i startup firefox 4 in 32bit mode my extensions will also stop working (extensions such as 1password).

thanks

• Re: Firefox 4
          sloanb

I'm in the same boat. Hoping this is resolved quickly.

Androto

I'd like to add that I've attempted to uninstall the pluging, change firefox to 32bit mode, and then reinstall it. This did not help, firefox still crashes, and my other addons stop working. Based on what i've read in other discussions (that started as far back as september of 2010) this is a problem that has been here for a long time and is not going to be fixed anytime soon. The thing I don't understand is why they would offer 32bit and 64bit support for windows, but not for OS X.

Apprentice

Hi Androto & Sloanb,

Right now, Firefox 4 for Mac is not supported. Using your Mac you have the option to connect to the Slingbox with Safari 4 or the desktop player. Take a look at this link,

What browsers and systems are supported by Watch on Slingbox.com?

Regards

Androto

Unfortunately I cannot use the non-browser slingbox player as the SlingBox HD - Pro is not supported on it. I'm stuck using only the browswer version, but I'm forced to bend over backwards just to get it to work. Firefox 4 doesn't work at all (as you mentioned), and if I use safari all of my other extentions stop working because they were installed in 64bit mode. There has to be a better way. Is there any news as to when Firefox 4 will be supported? or better yet, any news as to when an updated slingplayer application will be created? A stand alone app is a much better approach than a browser.

Apprentice
                      Is there any news as to when Firefox 4 will be supported?

Unfortunately no, but I can tell you that our developers are working already on that so hopefully very soon it will be supported after we release the new update of the SlingPlayer application.

Androto

Does this mean that a new Mac OS X stand alone app is on the way as well? Is there an ETA on that? because right now i'm stuck having to choose between browsing the internet OR watching TV.

Apprentice
                              Does this mean that a new Mac OS X stand alone app is on the way as well?

No, but Firefox 4 will be supported in the next release of the update for Watch at slingbox.com

Androto

Just to clarify, this means that all Mac OS X users have to wait for the windows stand alone app to be updated before we get the updated firefox add on?

Apprentice

No, just the update for the "web based" version of the SlingPlayer, after that it will work also using Firefox 4

alanrichey42 Master
                                        Just to clarify, this means that all Mac OS X users have to wait for the windows stand alone app to be updated before we get the updated firefox add on?

I think you will find that Sling have washed their hands of the standalone player on both the PC and Mac.  More's the pity.

ekfaith

ETA on this would be nice. Why do I have a feeling that it may be a year or so before we see anything on this? Just like the outdated slingplayer app for Mac.

Androto

OK, i just checked on my friends PC. He's got firefox 4 on windows 7, and slinplayer online still works with it. I thought that the firefox 4 plugin wasn't out yet? I can't get it on my mac though.

njharvey

I managed to get Firefox working on Windows 7 following the advice here, however, have had no success with Firefox 4 on OSX.

Let's hope Sling sort it out shortly, as having to revert Safari to 32bit to watch my Slingbox is not worth the effort.

gilm

In the meantime just install the plugin and run safari in 32 bit mode.  Not as nice as having an updated firefox 4 plugin but will let you watch until it is released.

joelwnelson

32-bit mode is a poor workaround, albeit functional, until Safari or OS X gets updated.  "Apparently" the Slingbox plugin doesn't work at all -- even in 32-bit mode -- on Mac OS X 10.7.

Androto

So, I was jut looking at the minimum requirements for Slingbox Pro HD (the version I have), and this is what I found:

Minimum PC Requirements:
                                        HD Streaming: Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class  processor or equivalent with 2 GB of RAM. Video acceleration support  desirable on graphics card
                                        SD Streaming: Pentium 4 class or equivalent with 256 MB RAM
                                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with latest updates
                                        Browser Support: Internet Explorer Version 7 or higher, Firefox Version 3 or higher
                                        Minimum Mac Requirements:
                                        HD Streaming: Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent with 2 GB of RAM
                                        SD Streaming: Intel-based Mac with 2 GB of RAM
                                        Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.7 (Leopard) or later
                                        Browser Support: Firefox Version 3 or higher, Safari Version 4 or higher

Is it just me, or does it say: "Browser Support: Firefox Version 3 or higher..."?? I mean this is false advertising, and obviously everyone buying one today reading the minimum requirements will read this, and will also be duped just like the rest of us.

Androto

I just got word that slingbox doesn't work at all in the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion beta.... Slinbox developers, this is your warning, don't wait for it come out before you get one it (like you did for firefox). Is a firefox 4 (64bit) version of slingbox even on the way? converting from 32bit to 64bit isn't that hard at all.

joelwnelson

I have "heard" the same thing too.  Apparently it also freezes Safari and causes Firefox 3 or Firefox 4 to go into a repeating crash/restart loop.

With Sling's track record being what it is, hopefully it's fixed by the mainstream release of 10.7.2 or 10.7.3.

ACC1008762 Newbie

Sling never gives updates on unreleased products. We'll all wait another 6 months nagging and whining about when it'll work or when an update is coming, but they won't say anything other than we are working on it. Then one day. POOF! There it is after 1/2 the people have moved on to something else. Sling really is the best at what it provides so I'm staying even if I have to wait. At least it's high quality software / hardware. We could all be waiting for bare bones functionality but nope... Sling waits and gives us the best product at release.

IchiroA

FYI I got sling box working with Lion DP4 using Safari

Enable Developer mode in Safari and set the User Agent to

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1

You might have to launch Safari in 32bit mode

The only thing I found is the remote UI does not pop out

And It seems to work better in "Pop Out" mode

Good luck!
                                                Ichiro

tommac

this guy here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12869794#post12869794 says that slingplayer standalone application

works under Lion