3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2017 11:50 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

M1 Power Up Question

azd808
    Visibility: Open to anyone

My M1 is no way connected to my TV but direct to the cable box. But it looks like it only powers ON when the TV is ON. Doesn't make any sense if I'm away to have the TV on for it to work. How do I change it to be on when the cable box is on instead?

• Re: M1 Power Up Question
          alanrichey42 Master

Actually it makes perfect sense    Your TV provider has implemented HDCP so will not output a video signal from the cable box until it receives a valid handshake from an HDCP-compliant device.    The TV is compliant, the Slingbox isn't.   So you only get a signal with the TV on. 

BTW, you are wrong about the POWER ON.   Slingboxes are permanently switched on, I think you actually mean the video stream ?

azd808

Thanks for the info. I was just really surprised that the TV had power

control over the Sling without having any direct connections, all via

the cable box.

Re: POWER ON- you are right in a sense that the Sling has no power

switch. It's electronically switched by sensing a signal I guess from

your explanation.

alanrichey42 Master

I'm not sure you understand my explanation so let me try again.   The Slingbox actually has nothing to do with this discussion,  It is not being switched in any way, so you can forget all about it.

All that is happening is that your cable box will not output a video signal until the TV is switched on. 

So both your statements are incorrect.   The TV does NOT have any power control over the Slingbox, it simply has control over the video output of the cable box.   And in your second statement, there is NO electronic switching going on.   It is just that if there is no video signal arriving at the Slingbox then it will display a blank screen.  Once a video signal arrives it will start to stream it.