7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 5:56 PM by NoazDad RSS

Ipad as slingcatcher

jsuttin Newbie

As difficult as it's been to track down Slingcatcher, I thought I would mention that Apple has made a new HDMI adapter cable available for $40. The iPad 2 will support full video mirroring at 1080p. The iPad 1 (which I have) supports 720p and outputs video (including Slingplayer) through the HDMI cable. I've never actually seen the Slingcatcher in action so I can't really compare but the quality is pretty good while slinging within my own home network.

• Re: Ipad as slingcatcher
          Jiri Newbie

Thanks - thinking that might be a good option, too.  I have a Slingcatcher but operating it is a pain (I have the SC in another room and use a Redeye app to control all the AV components through IP).  I was thinking that the iPad app may be easier for my wife to use than the RedEye app.

Quick question - did you get the adapter (is it even out yet)?  If so, I am assuming that the HDMI cable delivers the sound too, can you confirm that?

jsuttin Newbie

I can confirm that HDMI delivers both audio and video.  The adapter was made available on March 11 and I picked one up at the Apple store for $40.

The one missing piece of the puzzle for me is a remote for the ipad. I have read that an iphone or itouch can control it but don't have one. If the little remote from my Apple TV could talk to the Ipad, it would be a perfect solution for me.

Jiri Newbie

OK - I got the cable and hooked it up and no video.    I have an iPad 1.  Is there a trick to this?

jsuttin Newbie

I just plugged in to the Tv with hdmi cable and made sure the tv was set to the right tv input source.  I did update to ios 4.3. Not sure if that makes a difference.

NoazDad

I'm trying that exact setup, but I'm getting audio only - no video.  Hulu Plus doesn't work either.

I get audio and video from the iPod app when playing movies and TV, so I know the adapter and TV are working fine...  It's got to be something with my Slingbox (it's the original SB Pro from like 2006...) or the SB player for the iPad.  Since I don't have a compatible SB, I can't use the iPad-specific app - I'm using the iPhone app...  It's also an iPad 1, not a 2.

Is this a supported configuration, or am I screwed?

-Paul in DC-

andrermf Newbie

Hi! Did you test the image of the ipad connected to the TV through HDMI. THe quality is better than slingcatcher ?

Thanks

Cheers

Jiri Newbie

I am not in my home with the iPad and won't be until mid-April.  I tried this last week on the way out the door so I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it.  When I'm back, I'll try to see if I can make it work.  If anyone has any info on how to make it work, I'm all ears.