4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 4:53 PM by jfinnegan RSS

Slingbox Pro-HD won't tune Channel 32.3

PCbeach

I have a  new slingbox pro-HD with the built in tuner connected to an overkill exterior antenna (a Channel Master 4228 about 2 miles from station) I easily receive all the local channels on my tv (connected to the slingbox pass-thorugh anttena jack) at full strength on the signal display on the TV. On the slingbox, every thing on the channel guide come in EXCEPT channel 32.3, which broadcast Universal Sports. 32.3 on the TV shows up as full strength, on the silng box i get a message "weak or missing signal". Any ideas?

• Re: Slingbox Pro-HD won't tune Channel 32.3
          PCbeach

Here is more info. I have rescanned multiple times - no help. Reset slingbox, no help. Turned off TV, DVD to make sure no RF leakage from them, rescanned, no help. The antenna is connected directly to slingbox, the coax input is configured for "antenna". TV, DVD_R all easily tune 32.3 Tried an old DigitalStream converter box, tuned it to 32.3, connected composite output to slingbox, configured for "other" and this works. So I can watch this one channel in a clunky manner, but what a pain in the ---. Read all the posts under weak or no signal, no help although there are clearly some knowledgeable people on this forum. I've tried a bunch of stuff, and everything I see tell me I have enough signal strength. I don't get it.

jfinnegan

Sounds like you may have a similar problem as what I'm experiencing (see my thread here: https://community.sling.com/message/38867 ).

I poked around on Google a bit, and am going to guess that you are in Portland, OR?  Looking at your ATSC channel lineup here: http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:97201#lineup_4595424 , I was anticipating 32.3 to have some freakish resolution.  Given that the rest of the lineup contains plenty of other 704x480i sources (that I presume you can tune in),  I'll take a guess and say that perhaps the broadcaster is sending something non-standard or incorrect when coding the ATSC video attributes -- which the Sling (or the player software) can't deal with.

To prove this out, go into the Player's options, in the Encoding tab, and ratchet down the resolution from Automatic to 320x240 and see if the subchannel appears.  While it's not a permanent fix, it'll indicate whether we're looking at the same issue.

PCbeach

Thanks for the post and the link, I read the other thread. You are correct that my slingbox is in Portland. Reducing the resolution didn't help, but this issue may still be related, it just acts like a software issue. I failed to mention that when I first setup the Slingbox, 32.3 worked. Although I haven't paid a lot of attention to it before now, I think the station sometimes broadcast at a higher resolution. Where are you reading the resolution of the incoming signal? Are you just going by the listing? I would like to try your other tests. I'll try rescanning with the browser plugin and see if by chance it helps.

jfinnegan

I was indeed basing my resolution assumption on the silicondust list.  Are you saying that they change resolution depending on the content?  I've never seen that.  Some broadcasters (NBC and Fox) use AFD to alter the display format between letterbox, pillarbox, centerpunch, etc (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Format_Description for the variations).  In one issue I have with my Fox affiliate, when they switch away from a 16:9 (AFD 10) network source to their local commercial cut-ins and news bumpers -- which are always 4:3 pillarbox (AFD 9), the sling drops the picture and sound.  When the network feed comes back, the Sling recovers.  I'm guessing that my local affiliate does not code the local AFD type properly, and the Sling simply gets confused.  For whatever reason, TVs appear to be more resilient to vagaries...

It's certainly possible that your problem channel is altering the AFD codes, but I'd think that the subchannel would be HD if they were monkeying with anything beyond 4:3...