27 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2012 1:18 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Remote has "double click" bug

jongundy

I have used the Slingbox Remote Control Manager to set up my remote control. It works fine but there is one major problem. When I click a key it seems to be clicked twice. So when I click 1 it becomes 11 or when I click Power it becomes Power off and Power on.

I have seen this problem mentioned on an earlier post.  Is there a fix??

I am using a generic freeview box purchased in New Zealand. "ALKRIS ALK-FTA1" produced by "Signal Solutions"

Thanks

Jon

• Re: Remote has "double click" bug
          alanrichey42 Master

This happens fairly regularly, as for some odd reason Sling added a repeat function to their built-in remotes, even though the system does not support long key presses.   So, when you tap a button, 2 or even 3 signals are sent.   And as you have found, some devices are quite sensitive and will react to each signal.

Normally I can fix this by building a Custom Remote with the repeat rate set to zero, but unfortunately this device seems to be using an unknown IR Protocol that isn't supported by the software.   I will send a sample to the experts on the JP1 forum who understand these things, but it might take some time for them to decode it.

Sorry

Al

alanrichey42 Master

I stand corrected, I have managed to figure out the protocol and it is supported.

Does this work ?

jongundy

Hello Alan

Thank you for your response.  Are you a wizard?

I had earlier tried to download Slingplayer for my Mac but couldn't find a working link.  Yours worked perfectly.

It seems that the Slingplayer is being phased out in deference to the in-browser technique. Do you know if the online remote builder-app will support importing remotes such as yours anytime soon?

I now have Slingplayer up and running on my Mac and PC's.

The remote worked beautifully.  I am very intrigued as to how you got it to work. Were you able to access the one I had already made and alter that?

My last question is; I am planning on upgrading my set top box to a DVR model as soon as they release one here in NZ. Should I just go through the same steps and contact you on this forum if I have similar issues?

Many thanks for all your help.

Jon

alanrichey42 Master
                      Thank you for your response.  Are you a wizard?

No   Just someone who had an unsupported device so went out and learned how to build a Custom Remote for myself.  Then realised that I could actually load almost any device onto my Harmony Universonal  Remote and use that to build Custom Remotes for other people who had the same problem.

It seems that the Slingplayer is being phased out in deference to the in-browser technique. Do you know if the online remote builder-app will support importing remotes such as yours anytime soon?

I doubt it.   You will NEVER get a policy statement from Sling on this site, they are not allowed to do it, but I have been complaining for ever about the reduction in functionality with each supposed 'upgrade'  (Amazingly, SlingPlayer 1.5 was worse than SlingPlayer V1.4 (added encryption) , SlingPlayer V2.0 was worse than V1.5 (removed Custom Buttons) and the Web version plumbs new lows (Poor zoom and no Custom Remote functionality) so I have given up any hope of common sense prevailing.  Meanwhile, like many people, I ignore the Web version and happily run with SlingPlayer V2.0, with V1.5 also sitting on my PC in case I need to use that (Last September being a classic case when the Sling servers went down and V1.5 was the ONLY thing that would work.).

The remote worked beautifully.  I am very intrigued as to how you got it to work. Were you able to access the one I had already made and alter that?

No, I loaded it onto my Harmony remote and used that to 'mimic' your remote and learned the individual codes for each button.  It turned out it uses a pretty standard IR Protocol called 'NEC1', and one of the people on the JP1 forum had previously explained to me how to Hack and change one of the bytes in the BIN files to stop any repeating.   Simple when you know how

My last question is; I am planning on upgrading my set top box to a DVR model as soon as they release one here in NZ. Should I just go through the same steps and contact you on this forum if I have similar issues?

If the device you get is not supported there are about 400 or so Custom Remotes at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=87.   If yours is not there either just post a request here.  I am well into retirement now but still expect to be around a few years yet 

Cheers

Al

jongundy

Thanks Al.  You are the man.

Kia Ora (as we say in New Zealand)

jongundy

Hello Alan

I trust that you have been enjoying your retirement since we last spoke.

After you helped me with my slingbox remote earlier in the year I have used it too watch NZ win the rugby world cup while I was working in Europe - BRILLIANT!!!

Here in NZ they have finally released a freeview satellite reciever that also has an inbuilt DVR.  I have purchased one.

As predicted at the start of the year the remote codes are not available. Now I cant even try to make one myself as i dont have a computer with windows XP any more.

I hope that your offer to help still stands!  What information will you need to get me started with a custom remote?

The box is a: Dish TV SatBox Ultra S7090. Details available on Dishtv.co.nz

xtianp

Hi Alan,

I'm writing to you hoping you can help me as well.

I hope you're not getting bombarded with requests, and if so, I apologize in advance for the trouble.

My probelm is that I'm also suffering from the "double click" bug and I can't figure out how to solve the problem.

My cable box is a PACE TDC777D.  There is no remote control for it, so I end up using the one for Motorola, (DCT-6416_III), which seems to work, except for the double-click thingy.

I have attached the file for your reference.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction so I can do the same trick you do to eliminate the double-click problem?

I really appreciate your help.

fdpeng@yahoo.com

Does anyone have a solution for the "motorla dcx3400-m"?

This double click bug is ridiculous.  It has been a problem for some time.  Why hasn't slingbox fixed this?

alanrichey42 Master

Technically it isn't a bug and I don't see how Sling can fix it.   Right from square one the Slingbox hardware has never supported the 'long press' on a remote.  So they had to decide how many times to send the IR signal when you tap a button.  The industry standard seems to be to repeat it 3 times to ensure that the signal is received.  Most devices have a timer set so that once an IR signal is received they will not accept another for a set number of milliseconds,   So that appears to be what Sling implemented, quite reasonably in my opinion,.

But the problem is that siome devices are too sensitive, and actually you are the first person to report this problem on a DCX3400, and the delay is too short, so they react to the first burst and then also react to the third burst, hence the 'double-click'.

Anyway, attached is a Custom Remote I have 'hacked' to set the repeat value to zero.  You didn't tell us who your provider was so this gives a Comcast remote image.  If you want a Time Warner one, let me know (assuming ti works that is)