7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2017 6:19 PM by RSS

Sling an Amazon Fire TV video signal

PNGwolffman
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a unique situation. Is there a way to sling an Amazon Fire TV or a Fire TV Stick? Note that I am not asking about the app on the Fire TV, I actually want to sling the Amazon Fire TV video signal by connecting it to a Slingbox. The one issue I see with this is, no way to control the Fire TV because it doesn't have an infrared sensor. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know a solution? Maybe a usb infrared converter? Any suggestions?

A new Slingbox that supports CEC control would be awesome and fix a lot of problems I have. I want to use Playstation Vue on my old PS3 or a Fire TV/Stick and have it available on the go.

• Re: Sling an Amazon Fire TV video signal

I am also seeking similar solution.

Playstation Vue HDMI videos are HDCP encrypted and Playstation 4 does not come with a Component cable output so it is not possible to sling it using a slingbox unfortunately.

The amazon Fire tv signal also cannot be slinged out using a slingbox due to similar reason.

icefonta

Hi, not sure whether this has already been resolved since the original question was from April, however i went through the same issue and i was able to solve it. I had to go through several hoops but at the end i made it. I have a Slinbgox 350 that does not support HDMI input, so i had some additional issue since the Fire TV only has HDMI Output.

First of all, you need some equipment:

1. An HDMI Splitter (i have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXFARS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2. A HDMI to Component converter (required only if your Slingbox does not support HDMI) (i have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVNUAEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

3. A Flirc, a little USB device you can program with IR signals (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0ETW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

4. An additional couple of HDMI cables

Here's the step you want to follow:

1. Connect the HDMI output of your Fire TV to the HDMI Splitter (HDMI Cable #1)

2. Connect HDMI Output 1 of the Splitter to the TV (HDMI Cable #2). At this point you should be able to see the Fire TV on your TV as usual.

3. Connect HDMI Output 2 of the Splitter to the HDMI to Component converter (HDMI Cable #3)

4. Connect the Component output of the Converter to the Component input of the Slingbox. At this point you should be able to connect to the Slingplayer and see the Fire TV signal. I have configured it as a Miscellaneous video source and used Sony/Other as Manufacturer and Model (there's no Amazon/Fire TV at the moment i write this).

5. In order to control your Fire TV from the Slingplayer remote, you need to use the Flirc. First you need to plug it into a computer, download the software from their website (www.flirc.tv), then from the Controllers menu of the Flirc app select the Amazon Fire TV option. You should see a computer representation of the Fire TV remote in the Flirc app.

6. At this point you need to take the Slingbox IR dongle and put it close to the Flirc while connected to your computer (so probably you want to use a laptop for this), in order to program the Flirc with the Slingplayer remote commands. The programming it's fairly straightforward, just click the button you want to program in the Flirc app's remote and then the corresponding button in the Slingplayer app's remote.

7. Once done with the Flirc programming you are all set, you just have to put the Flirc in the Fire TV USB port and position the Slingbox's IR dongle next to it.

By the way, the same procedure would work with the Playstation 4 for streaming Playstation Vue, the only issue is that the Flirc external casing would have to be removed in order to fit in the narrow USB ports of the PS4.

Hope this help you guys.

Cheers